* Want to take part too? Link up to Wordless Wednesday here!
Tag Archives: Family
I tried my hardest to participate fully in NaBloPoMo but of course I missed a day and definitely phoned in more than one picture post. I do feel like it was a great reminder to put my blog closer to the top of my priority list and if for nothing else than that, I’m glad I made the effort.
Over the last 30 days I have seen the regular posts on Facebook documenting something my friends were thankful for each day. I didn’t participate but now I would like to take the time to fill in my 30 days of thankfulness.
1. The Lord. I would not be who I am without my service for the Lord.
2. Gabe. He is truly my other half and makes me better than anything I would be without him.
3. Aiden and Olivia. I would normally list them separately, as they are so individual, but they made me a mother and fill the piece in my heart so completely that I never knew was empty before they came along.
4. My grandma. She is truly the only mother I have ever known and taught me what it is to love and nurture a family. I am thankful she is healthy and happy and enjoys my children so fully.
5. My aunts. Without my mom in my life I could have had something missing but there never was because of my aunts. Linda and Cheryl brought more love to me and my brother than one person ever could and spoil my children beyond belief. They love it!! 🙂
6. My in-laws. There are a million horror stories out there about terrible in-laws and I’m glad to say I don’t have that. I have in-laws who treat me like their own and have given me the chance to have the sisters I never got to have growing up.
7. Friends. There aren’t words enough to say what my friends mean to me. I have friends who I’ve known for YEARS (I’m looking at you Brandi!), friends who I feel like I’ve known for years (Kimmie!), long distance friends I’ve never met in real life (Jenn and Dawn!), and nursing friends who walked with me through our battle and came out on the other side (too many of you crazies to list!). Each and every one of them has meant something important to me and filled a place in my life that would have been harder and emptier without them.
8. My career. I worked so very hard to earn my career and become a nurse. It means something to me that I can say that I’m an RN.
9. My job. Yes, it’s different than a career. I love my job. I just became full-time this week and could not be happier. In this economy a job is not guaranteed, even with an education, and I feel immensely blessed to have mine.
10. Our home. It is our sanctuary from the world and I am glad for it every day. I love coming home and relaxing at the end of the day and having a little private place that is just ours.
Ok, those were all serious things, now for the silly.
11. Coffee. I LOVE COFFEE. It makes me happy and it tastes like heaven and it is my friend.
12. Chocolate. Right up there with coffee.
13. Purses. I love a beautiful handbag. I love new ones and old ones. I love when the seasons change and it’s time to bring out a different purse.
14. Shoes. Gabe doesn’t like it (there’s just too many of them!) but I love shoes. The more the better and multiple pairs for every occasion. Love. Them.
15. Shopping. Even when I don’t buy anything I love to look and try things on and consider the possibilities.
16. Books. Finding an adventure in the written word is a gift.
17. Movies. My imagination can only go so far and seeing the creations that come alive on the big screen is more than my tiny brain could ever come up with.
18. Technology. I love computers and tablets and phones. Pretty much anything with fancy lights and whistles gets my attention. I think I get that from my dad, I still remember the first dial-up modem he brought home.
19. Dogs. Specifically our dogs. I love animals and our dogs are big sweeties.
20. Good pens. I have worked in offices for so long that good pens mean a LOT to me. Mine are pink so that they stand out and I can nab them if someone else picks them up.
21. Holidays. Whether it be Thanksgiving or Halloween or Labor Day, I love taking time and slowing down and recognizing different moments in life.
22. My car. Long story short, our car died and we had no idea what we were going to do. Our car came at just the right time and at just the right cost.
23. Gabe’s truck. Yep, they’re separate because they were two separate blessings. Gabe now has an extended can and it makes it so much easier with the kiddos.
24. Naps. Enough said.
25. Slippers. When you’re on your feet a lot during the day, having soft fuzzy slippers waiting at home is fabulous.
26. Christmas lights. It’s that time of the year and I’m like a kid when it comes to driving around to see them.
27. Music. I love almost all genres and can sing along to almost anything. Cranking up the sound in my car and shouting out lyrics is a huge stress reliever.
28. Breakfast. It’s my favorite meal of the day!
29. Restaurants. As much as I love to cook, having it brought to me is something to be thankful for.
30. Pictures. If you can’t tell from this space, I take a lot of pictures. I have a strong need to document and capture moments.
So there you have it. The month of November is done but I have no intention of abandoning this space in December. We shall see!
They Make Me Smile
Simply Thankful Saturday – Veteran’s Day Edition
Monday is Veteran’s Day. My father served in the Navy and in the Navy Reserves. During World War II my grandfather served in the Navy and after his time in the Navy he joined the Army. They served our country well and raised me to respect this country and the service of every man and woman in the military.
Thank you to Max E. Campbell, Jr. and Max E. Campbell, Sr. for all you did and for giving me the love of this country I have. And thank you to every man, woman and family that sacrifices every day for everything I have. Sincerely, thank you.
Wordless Wednesday – Homework Loving Boy
Wordless Wednesday – Paint Time!
Introducing the Gang
I have a lot of plans for this space, including themes for different days, or at least some possibilities in mind. I want to talk about all things modest, not just in my clothing. I think you can be modest in so many ways, whether that be in food (which I have NOT been doing lately) and in your finances. Budgeting is one thing I have learned to do even better after losing my job in November. Beyond that I want to talk about my family and all of the things my life holds right now.
Of course if I want to talk about my family, it really seems like I should introduce them. First, there is Gabe. He is my husband of 13 years and the love of my life. We met in 1996, got engaged in January of 1998, and were married October 24, 1998. We have been through good times and bad, side by side, and he is still the love of my life.
Besides being the amazing husband and father he is, Gabe is also an amazingly talented author. I am an analytical person and while I think my writing is okay (I mean, I can put together sentences and stuff!) it’s nothing like his. I can write about myself and things I know (or heck, research for school and all of that) but he comes up with things in his head and I am immensely impressed. I don’t have the level of imagination he has and I am always in awe each time he writes something new. If you want to check him out I HIGHLY recommend swinging by his blog or heading over to amazon to check out his novel or his collection of short stories. Not to shill for my husband or anything but I definitely do not think you will regret it if you do.
Now, he’s probably going to kill me for posting this here but one of my very favorite things about Gabe is his ability to laugh and be silly. I think this photo pretty much sums that up and I can’t help but share that side of him with all of you.
This man put on my hat and then actually let me take a picture of it. Yep, that’s just who he is. And I love him.
The other two most important people in my life are the tiny humans called Aiden and Olivia (better known as Livi or Miss Livi). Aiden will be turning 5 in March and Olivia is 3. They are CONSTANTLY on the go and up to something. Aiden is in pre-school and learning every day, which is AMAZING to me. I have always loved school and want my kiddos to have a love of education too. Livi isn’t quite old enough for pre-school but she is definitely busy all the time and absolutely learning, school or not. Aiden has a love of all things video game related and Livi could not be a bigger girlie girl. He loves Mario and Lightning McQueen, while Livi is never happier than the times she is dressing up in her ballerina dresses or playing with her dolls. They bring joy to me each and every day and are part of the huge motivation I have to be something better than I am.
So that’s pretty much us. Hopefully I will be sharing them with you as much as possible from now on because I wouldn’t be who I am without these people in my life.
My New Digs
I have owned the rights to this space since July but because of a combination of work, school, church and just plain life, I never got around to using it. That is about to change. My husband, Gabe, has been encouraging me to start a public blog and get my voice out there to talk about the things I love. I have no idea if anyone out there will enjoy reading about the things that really interest me but I am going to give it a shot. Right now one big thing on my mind, as you can probably tell by the title of this blog, is modesty and how that affects my life. Modesty comes up in so many aspects of my every day life that I wanted to talk about all of the areas that so many people may not think of. I also wanted to introduce some of the awesome modest fashions I have found because I know so many people who also have a hard time finding the great things that are out there. Being modest is just one aspect of who I am though. Right now I’m a struggling student and mom who cares about finances and fitness and just plain getting by. I have a feeling this space will be an outlet and a fun place for me to bring out parts of my personality that may never get seen by people other than Gabe (and he already knows how insane, silly, nutty, frustrating, etc) I can be. Welcome to my new little piece of the net and I hope to see you around.