My Big Brave Boy


Today was a big milestone in my first born’s life.  The first day of kindergarten.  Ugh.  Just typing that makes me tear up.  I can’t believe it.  How have over five years gone by since the day he was born??  How can he possibly be ready for this step??

To say he was ready would be an understatement.  From the time he graduated from preschool last Spring he has been talking about when he would be heading to kindergarten.  Every week he knew he was one week closer.  Last week we were at church camp (which I will write about later this week) and all week long he talked about how when it was over he would be going to kindergarten.  And every time he talked about that, I started having palpitations.

Last night we talked about kidnergarten and prayed for him to have a good day as I tucked him in to bed.

This morning I stayed up after Gabe left for work at 5:40.  I was too anxious to go back to bed.  I made pancakes and bacon for Aiden’s first day of school.  I wanted him to have his favorite breakfast to start the day out right.

Once breakfast was done getting him up wasn’t 100% easy.  He was excited for school but he also wanted a few extra minutes.  I did get him up though and he decided he wanted to eat breakfast in the dark so I obliged.

He got to watch Sonic Underground (one of his favorite shows) while eating breakfast, which seemed like a good way to start the day.

While Aiden was eating I decided to go ahead and get his lunch all put together.  I don’t know the menu of the school yet so taking his lunch definitely seemed like the best way to go on his first day.

Once it was all together it was time to make sure we had everything before getting dressed.

Next was getting dressed and getting Livi up to eat something and head on out.  Even the ride to school was a thing of excitement.  The kids pointed out every bus we saw and I’m pretty sure Aiden couldn’t wipe the smile off his face.

Arrival at the school was a little anticlimactic, as it was raining and we had to stand in a line outside to get his name tag and check him in for the day.  That didn’t dampen his excitement though.

After just a few minutes of waiting (and getting to see Mamaw Denise!) we were in.  A very nice lady took us down to his classroom and before we knew it Aiden’s backpack and lunch box were safely stowed in his cubby and he was happily sitting at a desk with his name taped to it coloring away.  That was about the point I might have lost it but my big brave boy just smiled his toothless smile, waved his sweet little hand, and said “bye!”.  The nice classroom helper said that was usually the best time to leave and I was inclined to agree.  I snapped this last pic before heading on my way.

As I held Livi’s hand and we walked out the door all I could think was that in 7 short hours I would have my little guy back.  I think I might be able to handle this after all.

About Brandy

I'm a wife to my amazingly talented writer husband, Gabe, and a mom of two, Aiden and Olivia. In my free time (ha!) I'm a registered nurse. More importantly than the rest, I am part of an Apostolic Pentecost church and am currently a Sunday School teacher. I care deeply about my service for the Lord and part of that is being a modest woman. Modesty isn't just part of my religion, it's my life and how I live every day, but being modest doesn't mean having no fashion or fun. And that's what I want to show you here. I hope you come along for the ride.

2 responses »

  1. I love the pictures! I hope he has an amazing day, and now he just has a few short hours to go now before you will get to see him again. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s